I stopped a negative thought in its tracks this morning.
I was thinking about getting back to ordinary life and I got all upset and depress. I have been asking for help to try and make work, which can be boring at time, more exciting or at least something I got more excited about. I really was feeling a little blue about this when I realized that I put such a negative vibe around the word "ordinary".
Well, lets face it, ordinary isn't an exciting word. So of course I had to look the word up. Ordinary: well there are 4-5 definitions - but there is some hope for this word. Other than meaning customary, usual, normal, fixed, relatively unvarying - it can be an official having jurisdiction within a specific area or it can be a set meal served regularly at the same price. But what I like is where the word came from - ordinarius - latin for overseer, orderly, regular. Well I like the order part of this word.
So, now back to stopping the negative ordinary and get to some kind of exciting. I was using ordinary to mean dull, unadventurous, routine and I don't want to return to an ordinary life. So I started thinking about the word exciting - how to be excited, how to see the exciting in the ordinary, how to make the boring exciting and just by making that small shift in thinking the negative talk in my head stopped and I felt much more hopeful and cheerful.
While it may not seem that things are exciting but they really more ordinary - it us who gets to chose how we think about things. It is we who give the positive or negative vibe to life - and we chose which one to practice even by the words we use and how we use those words.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment